Monday, March 23, 2009

Biodata of a Narcissist

I am a person who is highly motivated, driven to excel and takes pride in her work. I aspire to inspire, and perceives learning as a continuous journey from the bottomless well of knowledge- the world.

As a second year major undergraduate in the National University of Singapore (NUS), I value every opportunity to acquire knowledge as well as experiences that will help develop me as an all-rounder. I constantly explore different channels to enhance my interpersonal communication, correspondence and presentation skills. One of the modules I have taken is Professional Communication, and it intrigued me to explore in depth why conflicts arise from miscommunication, as well as how to be more sensitive when dealing with socio-cultural barriers. This is definitely applicable to everyday life.

In NUS, I have participated in various co-curriculum activities, such as embarking on a 22 days community service trip, regular voluntary service in welfare homes, as well as an orientation councillor in freshman orientation camps. I have also represented my hall in several inter-hall sports events, and did coverage of various NUS events. All these activities summed up to an extraordinary experience of campus life, and equipped me with valuable organisational and managerial skills.

Outside school, I am the director of the Social Development Subgroup (SDS), a sub-branch of the People’s Association Youth Movement (PAYM) in the. Being a director of a youth group further spurs me to refine my EQ and leadership skills. I also have had first hand experiences on chairing meetings, delegating jobs and public speaking.

My previous part time employment during semester breaks have certainly been enriching and fulfilling. The exposure to the outside working life has demonstrated to me how different school life and the working world are. Bearing responsibilities, being accountable to the superior, and to be receptive to critics are some of the lessons I have learnt. Work has certainly brought me out of my comfort zone and opened my eyes. I believe that this will be beneficial to me as a student leader, as well as better prepares me for working life after I graduate.

I am easy going and can get along with people of all types of nature well. Being fluent in both English and Mandarin, I am picking up a Bahasa Indonesia as my third language. Aside from photography, I am also an avid traveller and an aspiring writer. No matter how many obstacles are in my way, I will never hesitate to continue embracing life, because it is my determination and courage that brought me to where I am now.

8 comments:

  1. All rounder indeed, Shi Wei! From this bio it's clear that you have definitely gone beyond your "comfort zone" and achieved all sort of highs on your journey so far. I'm convinced that you have a real way with people and I hope to see you pursue that direction even further. Use that "determination and courage" wisely and see how far it will take you and the lucky ones who meet you on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shi Wei!

    From your biodata, I get the impression that you are a leader and a very caring person! I am always impressed by people who take the time out of their busy schedule to help the less fortunate, which you are certainly doing through embarking on a “community service trip to Cambodia and regular voluntary service in welfare homes.” Also, you seem like a really friendly and approachable figure as you have described yourself as easy-going and able to “get along well with all types of nature,” which I certainly agree with! Kudos to you and continue to contribute to the society with your leadership and voluntary services! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shi Wei

    I like your phrase 'aspire to inspire'. That's a very meaningful vision for yourself. I can see that you are well on the way to fulfil that vision given your voluntary work in Cambodia and your leadership of the Social Development Subgroup. Continue exploring paths not trodden by others as you fulfil your vision and learn as much as you can. Utilize these few years in NUS to try out as many activities as you can. Inspire others through your own experiences!

    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sw,

    if I were reading this in the position of your future boss, you wouldn't want to know how thrill and excited I will be looking forward to meet you. Its a pretty amazing biodata, with such rich experiences in all areas a person can possibly have. And not forgetting its short and sweet! Great job once more sister.

    (P.S. a narcissist indeed)XD


    shihui

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Shi Wei,

    With your experiences, capabilities and determination, I would love to hire you if I were the employer. From both your Biodata and the interview that we had the other day, you give me the impression that you can work under stress, willing to learn and a very friendly person. I hope you will continue to strive and explore the areas you wish to while undergoing your education in the university.

    Ayu :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad, Duane, Wanyu, buttbook and Ayu:

    Thank you so much for taking time to read my biodata. Indeed, I'm overwhemled by you guys' generous serving of kind words- awfully touched in fact, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shi Wei,
    This is a good post.Your biodata is so impressive and informative. I am so impressed by your determination, strength,and achievement. Your active involvement outside school as "the director of the Social Development Subgroup (SDS)" is certainly not an easy task despite the busy schedule as a undergraduate.Moreover, your participation in the voluntary work in Cambodia shows that you are very concern about the poor.After reading your biodata, it makes me want to know more about you. All the best in your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cher,

    Thank you for your kind words. I think i might have sound overly "confident" in this particular post, dont you think so?

    I guess after writing it, I felt really bad; thus the name - the biodata of a narcissist.

    ReplyDelete